Chaminade College Preparatory President James V. Adams will receive the 2012 Catholic Secondary Education Award from the Secondary Schools Department of the National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA), given to Catholic school educators for distinguished service to Catholic education.
Adams was recognized by NCEA for his leadership at Chaminade, where he has molded a Catholic organization which lives and breathes it mission to form young adults who are committed to their faith, morally aware and academically capable people, and are outstanding contributors to the future. During his tenure, Chaminade has instituted a one-to-one student tablet educational experience, and constructed a 25,000 square foot Science and Technology Center on the High School campus, a 25,000 square foot Arts and Athletics Center on the Middle School campus, and a 24,000 square foot Performing Arts Center on the High School campus.
Chaminade has won the following awards under Adams’ leadership:
- 1997/98 – National Blue Ribbon School
- 2008 – Named by Los Angeles Magazine one of the best private high schools in Los Angeles County
- 2009 – The International Center for Leadership in Education named Chaminade College Preparatory one of 25 “Model Schools.” Chaminade College Preparatory is the first Catholic School in the United States to earn this prestigious honor. Chaminade leadership presented a workshop at the annual Model Schools Conference which was attended by over 5,500 educators from around the world.
- 2009 – Chaminade College Preparatory’s Board of Directors received the Outstanding Board Award from the National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA). This award recognizes outstanding work, encourages excellence, and provides ideas and best practices for other governance groups.
- 2010 – James Adams named by San Fernando Valley Business Journal as Best Not-for-Profit Executive
- 2009 – Recognized by the San Fernando Valley Business Journal as one of San Fernando Valley’s Best Places to Work
- 2009 – Daily News Readers’ Favorite Private School
In addition to his role at Chaminade, Adams is a permanent part-time consultant with Meitler Consultants, an educational planning firm. He also serves on the Board of Directors and Governance Committee of the Boys and Girls Club of the West Valley, Joint Advisory Board of St. Catherine of Siena School and the Advisory Council for Community Bank. He has also served on the Board of Sacramento Blood Bank, the Heart Research Foundation, Catholic Charities, and the St. Sebastian Governance Board. He has served as president of Chaminade College Preparatory since July 1996.
Adams will receive his award at the annual NCEA Convention on April 12, 2012.