Family Spirit is more than just a simple slogan. It’s a way of life in our community, and the reason students refer to Chaminade as a “home away from home.” And it’s why high school science teacher Dr. Ryan Casey along with juniors Alex Edwards, Anthony Meguerian, Zach Mullen, Kai Nikchevich, Morgan Robertson, Karan Singhvi, Sean Sullivan, and Jaydon Yoon decided to do something memorable for their senior class.
“We felt that their year coming to a halt was something they did not deserve,” says Anthony Meguerian. “It was necessary for us to do something that would put a smile on their face and let them recollect past happy moments at Chaminade.” They called their endeavor Project Nade.
Their goal, to recreate the entire school, meter by meter, room by room, in the popular video game Minecraft. “This would give the senior class and any Chaminade students a chance to make up for the lost moments this year due to the coronavirus.”
Over the past three weeks, they spent countless hours making sure that every detail possible of the West Hills campus was portrayed in the video game. Using Google Earth images to measure building lengths, and geometry/trigonometry to calculate proper scaling, they built a virtual, three-dimensional campus for the benefit of our seniors. Their creative and innovative solution for giving the graduating Class of 2020 the opportunity to walk through the campus one last time.
On Sunday, May, 31 at 4:00 pm, the members of Project Nade launch the first-ever Chaminade Minecraft Graduation. It is guaranteed to be a fun virtual celebration for all who want to participate. All you need to do is follow these simple instructions:
- Create a Minecraft account at minecraft.net and purchase the game in their store. NOTE: Players with the Bedrock Edition or Windows 10 Edition of Minecraft will be unable to join the server.
- Once the game is purchased, download the Minecraft Launcher.
- Make sure the version selected is called “Latest Release, 1.15.2”, and press PLAY.
- After the game has loaded, click “Multiplayer”, “Add Server”, and type “chaminade.online” into the Server Address box. The Server Name could be whatever the player chooses.
- Click “Done”
- In the Multiplayer menu, click on the server and press “Join Server”.
- Welcome to Virtual Chaminade!